Thursday, January 7, 2010

did i ever tell you? I'M A GAMER.

Seriously! I've been playing video games since I was 4 years old. Anyone remember PlayStation? The very first one that released? Ever since then, I've been committed to those video game systems, from Sony to Microsoft to even Nintendo. So yes, I have witnessed first hand the evolution of technology within videogames; we used to use memory cards to save data, we can't play online or access the internet from the game console, the graphics of a game back then seemed amazing- nothing in "HD"... I can go on and on about how video game consoles have come a long way and obviously, the consoles have a huge impact on the types of games made.

Anyways, back to the question. In my opinion, I always thought video games were beneficial. Even before the 'exergames'. I mean, look at it. It's not just a silly game children play or a waste of time. It actually helps you with hand-eye coordination, memorization and your reading skills.

Reading is always involved in the world of reading. Whether it's a first-person, RPG video game, shooter, sports, even the 'exergames'. You always have to read something; instructions, how to play, etc. Also, you have to memorize the entire layout of a controller. You can't play a game then look at your controller as you play.

Now with this entirely new genre of videogames, these 'exergames', you don't necessarily need those classic controllers; especially with the Wii Fit (Plus) and its balance board. I remember when the Wii first came out. The Wii Remote and nunchuk, it was quite amazing. It was nothing like the other consoles (however, I prefer the 360 or the PS3, because of the types of games, graphics, etc... besides, Wii is more of a young child/adult type of thing anyways. And I'd rather sit on a couch with my dualshock controller, than balance on a Wii balance board). You don't exactly use a joystick and those 'combo buttons' in those 'exergames'. You have to actually, physically do something to play the game (like stand up and move). Then again, these types of games are only effective if you use it correctly. Obviously, not only did video games evolve greatly in graphics, but the playing style as well.






A X B Y, B B X Y, A B X Y, RT LT A B, RB A LB Y. It's not as easy as you think.


P.S. If you find that video games are detrimental or "wolves in sheep's clothing", you obviously do not appreciate the technology of our time. Just like Google Maps and its street view! We're in the 21st century, it's 2010. We're no longer in the 1950's with lard and tape worms. Embrace the new technology and appreciate what the great minds of our time has come up with! Because you're seriously living in a box if you don't. (Just kidding, but no. Not really, haha)

1 comment:

  1. AGREED! You need to embrace the new technology given to us by these gamer gods. We're living in a time period where every parts of our lives are starting to become technology based, and you either have to accept this fact and change with the times, or end up being out dated, and not living life to it's full potential. Games are beneficial, only if you limit yourself on how long you play. It involves reading, hand-eye coordination and memorization, but it also involves you sitting on your butt looking at a tv screen.

    ReplyDelete